Today in Smithsonian History: June 24, 1976
Martin H. Moynihan, conducting field work in the upper woods of Purace Park, Colombia, in June 10, 1969. Moynihan was an ethologist and in 1957 became Resident Naturalist and Director (1959-1973) of a small field station on Barro Colorado Island, Panama, later named the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute. (Photo by Neal Griffith Smith, 1937 – 1969)
June 24, 1976 Martin H. Moynihan, director of the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Panama from 1957 to 1973, becomes the eighth recipient of the Joseph Henry Medal. The award is accepted for Dr. Moynihan by David Challinor, Assistant Secretary for Science. The Joseph Henry Medal is given by the Smithsonian Board of Regents to individuals in recognition of their distinguished service, achievements, or contributions to the prestige and growth of the Smithsonian Institution.
The Henry Medal is given for outstanding service, usually–but not always–to someone not on the staff by resolution of the Board of Regents. The medal was created in honor of Secretary Henry shortly after his death in 1878 by William Barber, the Engraver of the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia, and his son Charles E. Barber. The likeness was probably based on the Clark Mills bust of Henry. The Latin inscription on the reverse is taken from the 24th Ode of Horace. It reads: “Incorrupta fides nudaque veritas, Quando ullum inveniet parem?” (When shall Loyalty unshaken, and candid Truth e’er find a peer to him?). It is presented to individuals in recognition of their distinguished service, achievements or contributions to the prestige and growth of the Smithsonian Institution.
Courtesy of Smithsonian Institution Archives
Posted: 24 June 2017