Feb
13

Today in Smithsonian History: February 13, 1874

The original Corcoran Gallery of Art building on Pennsylvania Avenue was acquired by the Smithsonian Institution in 1972 and became the Renwick Gallery, part of the Smithsonian American Art Museum. This painting by Frederic Schuler Briggs, ca. 1870, shows the entire west and south facades arrayed with statuary. A portion of Blair House is also visible. Via Smithsonian Institution Archives

The original Corcoran Gallery of Art building on Pennsylvania Avenue was acquired by the Smithsonian Institution in 1972 and became the Renwick Gallery, part of the Smithsonian American Art Museum. This painting by Frederic Schuler Briggs, ca. 1870, shows the entire west and south facades arrayed with statuary. A portion of Blair House is also visible. Via Smithsonian Institution Archives

February 13, 1874. Paintings, statuary, engravings, books and other artworks in the Smithsonian Institution’s collections are are deposited in the newly opened Corcoran Gallery of  Art.


Posted: 13 February 2017
About the Author:

The Torch relies on contributions from the entire Smithsonian community.