Dec
31

Today in Smithsonian History: December 31, 1887

Two buffalo are in a paddock in the South Yard behind the Smithsonian Institution Building. They were acquired in 1886 by the United States National Museum's Department of Living Animals, which eventually became the National Zoological Park. This photograph, taken sometime between 1886 and 1889, predates the founding of the NZP which was established by Act of Congress in 1889.

Two buffalo are in a paddock in the South Yard behind the Smithsonian Institution Building. They were acquired in 1886 by the United States National Museum’s Department of Living Animals, which eventually became the National Zoological Park. This photograph, taken sometime between 1886 and 1889, predates the founding of the NZP which was established by Act of Congress in 1889.

December 31, 1887 The Department of Living Animals opens to the public in a building on the south side of the eastern wing of the Smithsonian Institution Building. According to the United States National Museum Report for 1888, the department had been established to afford taxidermists an opportunity to observe the habits and positions of various species, and use this knowledge in mounting skins for exhibition.


Posted: 31 December 2016
About the Author:

The Torch relies on contributions from the entire Smithsonian community.