The Freer|Sackler’s famous summer after-hours, “Asia After Dark,” is finally here! On Saturday, June 7, celebrate the sights and sounds of Bollywood, Bhangra and beyond in a night filled with art-making, Bollywood film, music performances, dance lessons, themed photobooth selfies, specialty cocktails and – of course – great friends.
The evening’s headliner, DJ Rekha, is a Bhangra great and music-world pioneer, having inspired dance parties in everywhere from NYC’s underground club scene to the White House. (Need a workday pick-me-up? Plug in your headphones and listen to her sample tracks).
Here’s what else you can expect:
- Expand your mind with insider’s tours of ancient sculpture from southeast Asia and a massive contemporary installation by Indian American artist Rina Banerjee in its final weekend on view
- Make your own crowns, based on those worn both by Indian gods and the current Miss America Nina Davuluri
- Take group photos or selfies with props inspired by “Beyond Bollywood,” courtesy Booth-o-Rama
- Get your groove on during Bollywood dance classes by the South Asian Performing Arts Network
- Specialty cocktails by the mixologists at Ping Pong Dim Sum
This event is hosted by the Silk Road Society, the museum’s young professionals membership program.
SI Staff are eligible to purchase a discounted ticket at just $10, with regular tickets for friends and guests at $15. An additional $10 gets you a VIP upgraded ticket that lets you skip lines at both the entrance and bar, and also snags you an invite to a future Silk Road Society-hosted reception and tour of NMNH’s groundbreaking “Beyond Bollywood: Indian Americans Shape the Nation.”
Buy your tickets now! Asia After Dark regularly sells out.
Posted: 28 May 2014