Mar
31

March 31, 1857

March 31, 1857

March 31, 1857. The personal effects of James Smithson, the Smithsonian’s benefactor, are removed from the Patent Office Building and deposited in the Regents’ Room at the Smithsonian Institution Building.
Continue reading March 31, 1857

Mar
28

March 28, 1958

March 28, 1958

Congress authorizes the use of the old Patent Office Building to house the National Collection of Fine Arts. After extensive renovations, the Museum opens in 1968. The National Collection of Fine Arts, now the Smithsonian American Art Museum, is located on this side of the Old Patent Office Building at 8th and G Streets, N.W.… Continue reading March 28, 1958

Next Page