Nov
23

November 23, 1959

Taxidermists Julian S. Warmbath, Charles R. Aschemeier, Watson M. Perrygo, and William L. Brown mounting a hippopotamus for exhibition in the 1930s. Image from Smithsonian Institution Archives

The Hall of the World of Mammals opens at the National Museum of Natural History, illustrating “biological principles.” Henry W. Setzer is the curator in charge of the hall, Rolland Hower supervises the exhibits staff of the Natural History Laboratory and Thomas Baker is the designer. The taxidermy work was supervised by Watson M. Perrygo, the mural was painted by Art Smith and Robert C. Hogue painted the backgrounds of the habitat groups.


Posted: 23 November 2010
About the Author:

Alex di Giovanni has been editing The Torch since August 2006. Prior to joining the Smithsonian, she worked as a writer and editor for the National Geographic Society, Plexus Scientific, The Nature Conservancy, The National Foreign Language Center and St. Martin’s Press, among others. She has the best job in the world.